Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Gear

I always think it's interesting to see what gear people use on their hiking trips. Here's my gear:

My Pack: REI Venturi 30 pack:

I really like this pack; it has great pockets, its zippers are (said to be) waterproof (but I haven't tried that attribute out yet), and it's just the right size. It has a waist belt with pockets (for digital camera, compass, and small snack), and it has plenty of pockets for other stuff.

It has a concave internal frame which keeps the pack off your back to keep you cool. Camelback bladder can go inside the pack (in a pocket) or between concave back of pack and trapeze netting (which goes next to your back). Everything's adjustable, so you can get it to sit just right.

Things I carry in the pack:

  1. Essentials: the ten essentials and a first aid kit. What are the ten essentials? http://www.wta.org/hiking-info/basics/ten-essentials

  2. Personals: bathroom stuff, tiny pack towel, and bandanna

  3. Food: snacks, sandwich, trailmix, vitamin water

  4. Cold weather/rain gear: fleece, beanie, gloves, spare socks, compressable rain jacket--I only take this gear if I'm going up the Hill or if the forecast indicates inclement weather is a real possibility. If it's a tyical Valley summer day, and I'm staying in the Valley or the foothills, I'll leave this equipment at home.

  5. Camelback bladder (2 liter--enough for a hot 12 miles/6-7 hour hike)

  6. Getting Around: map, compass, animal track laminated sheet (because I'm nerdy that way)

  7. Civilization: phone, keys, money, health card

My Shoes: Salamon X4 Comp 4 GTS Trail Running shoes.

They're great mid-cut trail shoes which are waterproof and supportive. I've replaced the insoles with Superfeet, which help a great deal with my arch problem. I have an earlier version of these, but they're the same type of model.

I'm looking for hiking boots to have additional ankle support on such hikes as the Echo Lakes hike, which had plenty of ankle turning rocks on it. I didn't realize I needed the additional support until my ankles were tired and started acting up on the rocks on the hike back to Echo Lakes.

My Socks: I use these socks: Wigwam Cool-lite Hiker Pro Quarter Length socks.

They're muy comfortable, padded (but not too padded). I've never had any blisters or even hot spots with any of my socks or my Salamon shoes. My Trekking Poles: Leki Diva Aergon Antishock Women's Trekking Poles.

I've just recently added trekking poles to my hiking gear paraphernalia, and so far, I really like them.
They really do help reduce stress on your knees as you go up and down slopes, and they're useful for pushing plants and branches off the trail to let you pass. Yes--they're an additional thing to carry as you hike, but their advantages outweigh their disadvantages. I noticed that in the hiking group, about half the people use trekking poles. The people who didn't tended to be still in their 20/30s, so give them time, my friends, give them time. :)

I'll add my cool weather gear in a different post. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so by then, I'll be able to add some commentary on performance perhaps.



No comments:

Post a Comment