Friday, April 9, 2010

Olympus Binoculars: the latest gadget

These little binoculars are the latest craze I have, apart from my Stoke backpack; these binoculars are tiny yet powerful, and they're really fun to have with you on a hike. They're 10 x 21 (which means that things are viewed as 10 times larger than they are in real life), and that's a great optical zoom to have in such a small, reasonably priced package.

They fold up to be much smaller than they look in the pic above; they are small enough to fit in the waist strap pockets of my Stoke 19, which is not a huge pocket. You don't have to wrestle them into the pocket at all. Really impressive.

I used to have this optical tool:


But this gadget was so small, I misplaced it somewhere in my house, and it will turn up, undoubtedly, in a few years when I finally open a drawer and move a piece of paper and find them there, waiting and lonely.

The monocular was also fun to have; I used it on my Tomales Point hike to look at the cormorants and rocks. I learned, however, that, with a monocular, you have to have a pretty steady hand to see the image clearly, particularly when the item was pretty far away and you were really focusing in on it. I learned also that, while it's fun to feel like a pirate using a telescope, now I've used binoculars on hikes, I can see why there are many more pairs of binoculars around than monoculars. It was just harder to squint through the single lens using one eye instead of two. The optical vision is similar between the two, but if you can fit in the binocular into your pack and budget, it's worth doing, I think.

So, happy with the bins. You probably would be too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment